Summer is upon us! The sun is shining, the air is salty and the colours are vibrant. Everyone has crept out from under their layers of winter, the dreary shades moved to the back of the closet, ready to feel the warm kiss of the summer sunshine on our skin and absorb some much needed vitamin C. It’s also the season for socializing with calendars filled with weddings, Christmas cocktails and poolside dinner dates means flowers are in abundance!
Each year, fashion magazines drop hints as to what the top trendy colours for the next season will be and summer is all about light and bright, bold and vibrant. This year’s hottest hues range from bold yellows to bubblegum pinks, romantic lavender whispers to eye popping ultra violet purples. With department stores bursting at the seams with colours from the latest palette, you’ll have no problem keeping your wardrobe on point – but what about the flowers in your home, in your wedding bouquet or dinner decor? Keeping your blooms on trend with the seasons hottest shades takes a little more thought. Here are my tops picks for flowers to match this season’s top tones:
- Yellow: The colour of pure happiness and the summer sunshine itself – and one of my favourite, favourite colours 🙂 Options are endless when it comes to flowers! Yellow roses, tulips and sunflowers are all beautiful options for adding this vibrant colour to your next arrangement.
- Purple: Soft shades of purple with sprigs of lavender and pale rose petals to vibrant Chrysanthemums and bright Delphiniums. These flowers are perfect to add to arrangements filled with greenery or Baby’s Breath and make the most beautiful display of bright colour!
- Pink: There is endless variety when it comes to pink petals but finding the right, bright pink for this season is key. Roses, Starlight Lilies and Azaleas all hit the brief for eye popping pinks and make up the most magnificent arrangements that scream chic summer style.
- Sky Blue: The colour of the summer sky and so breathtakingly beautiful in a vase. You can make up a really gorgeous arrangement with more unusual flower choices – think Hydrangeas, Agapanthus and Wisterias.
- Light Green: Green is back this summer and succulents and greenery make spectacular arrangements – and they last for ages! Very little foliage is needed to make a really chic display and with lots of shape and texture, your arrangement will really make an impact (read more about using foliage for decor in this post)
Cape Town gardens might not be bursting with blooms but that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to get your hands on some gorgeous bouquets and arrangements to fill your home, decorate your table or create the perfect bridal bouquet. Fabulous Flowers Florist in Claremont has an endless array to choose from and offer free delivery on online orders over R1000. You can also find beautiful artificial and silk flowers to create an everlasting bouquet that you can time and time again – and save a little water too 🙂
This post is written in collaboration with Fabulous Flowers Florist.